The article will explain how to live more eco-friendly. Everyday actional tips and pieces of advice will be given that can render us and our lives eco-friendly and sustainable including the following.
What are the ways to live more eco-friendly?
The ways to live more eco-friendly are:
- Energy efficiency
- Resource management
- Using eco-friendly consumer products
- Waste reduction
- What are the steps to recycle and compost?
- Shifting to vegan?
- Avoiding fast fashion?
- Inclination toward the 3Rs
One effective approach to enhance the eco-friendliness of lives is by reducing energy consumption, which can be accomplished through various methods, including
- Turn off lights: Turning off festival lights when not in use can help conserve energy. Leaving them on overnight or throughout the day can result in substantial energy wastage.
- Unplug devices: Unplugging lights and other appliances when not in use can reduce standby energy consumption.
- LED lights: Swapping traditional incandescent bulbs with LED lights is an efficient way to reduce energy consumption. LED lights consume up to 80% less energy and can last up to 25 times longer. They are also much cheaper now compared to the past and can be found nearly everywhere. They also help reduce electric bills.
- Solar-powered lights: Considering the use of solar-powered lights to adorn the outside of your home can be an excellent option. Solar-powered lights use renewable energy and can lower your electricity bill. The life of these panels can be over decades and is a one-time cost.
There are several ways by which we can be wise with our resources. These include steps such as
- Substitution of renewable resources and reducing the use of non-renewable resources.
- Being careful about the use of resources. Turn off lights and fans wherever needed. If possible, install automatic and motion-sensitive systems to be more careful with resource consumption.
- Continuously check for leaks and repair works to make sure that there is no damage or drainage of resources.
- Latest systems must be installed because the latest systems will be energy-efficient and this will be good for both the economy and the environment.
- The structure of classes should be made as such to make them the airiest and the exposure to sunlight should be maxed. This will lead to less resource consumption.
- Proper damping and insulation must be done in school to save resources
- Instead of paper assignments, software-based assignments and tasks should be preferred to make schools paper-conservative.
Using eco-friendly consumer products
Our lives are incomplete without consumer products. From washrooms to kitchens to laundry, we all need consumer products for our needs.
The plight is that most of these products either rely on harmful chemicals, plastics, and degradative components that are not only bad for our health but also relate negatively to the environment.
In contrast, there should be a use of products that are
- Organic and naturally derived
- Certified sustainable
- Made from recycled materials
- Avoid the use of chemicals and degradative synthetic ingredients
- Are non-toxic to life and the environment
The idea of how appliances and devices relate to the environment and waste issues has been well-established. Therefore, you need to have smart and eco-friendly disposal options and when it comes to that recycling is one of the best options. Composting is another candidate that we have.
The problem with composting is that it can only be done with natural, biodegradable and organic waste such as cardboard et cetera.
However, recycling can be done for both biodegradable and nonbiodegradable materials. In fact, it is even claimed that recycling is one of the best ways to deal with non-biodegradable waste. Therefore, it is greatly recommended to have a recycling centre in your apartment.
However, if you can not afford one, the best option is to responsibly discard your waste in recycling centres.
If the waste is compostable, then it is advisable to compost it either at home or in recycling centres.
How to recycle?
Recycling can be done by the following steps:
- Identifying if your waste is recyclable or not.
- If it is, you can throw it in green-coloured recycle bins.
- You may also contact nearby recycling centres for a drop-off or pickup.
- To find nearby recycling centres, rely on internet sources or inquire from city’s administration
How to compost?
When it comes to the practice of composting, there are two main options that a person can rely on. These include
- Composting in the composting centres
- Composting at home
One rather convenient way is to compost in the composting centres. You do not have to do much about it.
All you need to do is to identify the compostable waste and transport it to the nearby composting centres.
However, if you feel a bit more creative, there is another option for you as well. Composting can also be done at home. All you need to do is to follow the steps and voila!
It is fun as well and brings you one step closer to nature and being eco-friendly as well. It is for this reason that many educational and social institutes have community-based composting centres to develop and further the culture of home composting.
Composting at home can be done by the following steps
- Find a suitable location in your home that is distant from your indoors but decently accessible
- You can compost either openly (compost piles) or in a compost bin. Both are fine.
- To initiate the process, make a heap made from compostable material
- Make sure to place the heap in a cool and dry place. Be sure to continuously and regularly mix it.
- Make sure that there is a decent ratio of brown and green matter. The brown matter will be the source of carbon whereas the green matter will be the source of nitrogen. Many suggest making the ratio 4:1.
- Wait and let external conditions and microbes do the work
Shifting to vegan
Shifting to veganism is not just good for the environment but also good for your health. Therefore, it is recommended to make the shift if even gradually.
You can have meat on some particular days to fill in your meat cravings and on other days, you can rely on healthy green vegetables.
Avoiding fast fashion
It is very important to be wise and conservative with how we dress because our clothes can damage the environment a lot. Therefore, consider the following points
- Buy clothes made from organic and natural fibres. This way you will be silently advocating against the use of fertilisers and pesticides.
- It is important to wear clothes and take proper care. Only wash when needed and avoid dry cleaning.
- If you think that you no longer need your clothes, prefer donating them. If not, it is advised to shift to composting and recycling to avoid waste accumulation
- Avoid fast fashion. Do not be a sheep in the herd. Be the lion that lives by its own rules and conformities.
Incline towards the 3Rs
It is another great way to make your life waste-free and eco-friendly. The 3R includes
When the products and resources are reduced and reused, the impact on virgin material will be lower so will be the waste accumulation.
This will help in the alleviation of environmental problems. Also, waste disposal can be done through recycling and composting to make extract usable from the used.
The article explained various ways to make our lives more eco-friendly that centred around being wise with resources, preferring eco-friendly products, and aiming for waste-free lives (by being anchored to 3Rs, composting and resource reduction).
- Stafford, Randal. (February 7, 2019). A sceptical look at popular diets: Vegetarianism is healthy if you tread carefully. Retrieved from: https://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2019/02/07/a-skeptical-look-at-popular-diets-vegetarian-is-healthy-if-you-tread-carefully/
- (August 15, 2022). The 20 steps guide to eco-friendly living. Retrieved from: https://www.goodenergy.co.uk/the-ultimate-20-step-guide-to-eco-friendly-living/