The article will discuss the biodegradability of Scoop Away cat litter. Other topics covered would include:
- Is Scoop Away cat litter biodegradable?
- Is Scoop Away cat litter compostable?
- Is Scoop Away cat litter recyclable?
- What are alternatives there to Scoop Away cat litter?
Is Scoop Away cat litter biodegradable?
Scoop Away cat litter is not biodegradable because it is made from clay which can remain intact for hundreds of years.
Biodegradation is defined as the breakdown of materials by the action of microbes such as bacteria, fungi, algae, and decomposers. It is a natural process of ensuring that there is no waste accumulation so that the environment may be saved from the detrimental effects of waste accumulation.
However, not all material is biodegradable. Microbes only degrade the materials that are natural and organic (having nutrients for the microbes). In the case of Scoop Away cat litter, it is made of clay otherwise known as bentonite which is inorganic. Therefore, microbes can not ingest this cat litter.
Is Scoop Away cat litter eco-friendly?
No, Scoop Away cat litter can not be regarded as eco-friendly because it is made from bentonite clay which needs to be mined, and strip-mined to be particular.
The mining process is energy intensive and accounts for the release of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere that may contribute to environmental anomalies such as global warming, deforestation, acid rain, ozone depletion, and unprecedented weather patterns.
Also, as discussed, Scoop Away cat litter would not degrade and would remain in landfills for hundreds of years. This will contribute to the waste problems which are already quite intense given the context of increased urbanisation and consumerism.
As per research, more than 2 billion tons of waste are added to exacerbate the situation of waste management and it would not be wrong to say that Scoop Away cat litter and other bentonite clay cat litter would have their share in this problem because bentonite clay accounts for 25-85% of all cat litter globally.
Further, not only Scoop Away cat litter is bad for the environment, but it may also be dangerous to the cats since it is seen that in some cases, non-biodegradable cat litter results in toxicity and respiratory issues in sensitive cats. Also, the fragrances used in synthetic cat litter may also take a toll on cats.
How to sustainably use Scoop Away cat litter? (5 ways)
It is important to know what steps must be taken to sustainably use Scoop Away cat litter because the usage is equally important as the disposal, if not more. For that, consider the following points:
- Do not dump cat litter openly as it can cause contamination
- Do not dump cat litter in your backyard or in open ground as pathogens in the faeces can contaminate the soil
- Do not dispose of cat litter in a flush because there are chances of contamination. Plus, wastewater treatments are not designed to cope with the pathogens present in cat faeces
- Regularly clean Scoop Away cat litter as cat urine contains urea which can damage the litter if kept for a longer period of time
- Always empty the Scoop Away cat litter in a trash bag before disposing it of so that there is no risk of contamination
Can you compost Scoop Away cat litter?
A common question that is asked related to the disposal of Scoop Away cat litter is that since it can not biodegrade, can it be composted? After all, it is made from natural material (clay).
It is not possible to compost Scoop Away cat litter because there is little difference between composting and biodegradation. If something is not biodegradable, it is very unlikely that it can be composted too because it is the same microbes that will compost any particular material.
Like biodegradation, composting is also quite specific because it has to be added to the soil; therefore, it is essential to only compost materials with organic content inside.
In the case of bentonite clay, there is no organic content and therefore, Scoop Away cat litter can not be composted.
Can you recycle Scoop Away cat litter?
When Scoop Away cat litter is recycled, it is modified to be reused as if it were new material. This is considered green because when Scoop Away cat litter is recycled, there is no need to extract the raw materials which basically means the cutting of trees.
Therefore, let us discuss what you can do to have your Scoop Away cat litter recycled.
- Disposing of in recycling bins
- Transporting the Scoop Away cat litter to recycling facilities
- Having the nearby recycling centres pick up your Scoop Away cat litter and other recyclable material via appointment
What are other alternatives to Scoop Away cat litter?
Since it has been established that Scoop Away cat litter is neither biodegradable nor it can be composted, therefore, let us explore other options that are more eco-friendly can Scoop Away cat litter.
When it comes to cat litter, the best options include ones that are made from natural and plant-based materials so that the use and disposal of cat litter are also made eco-friendly other than the production.
The eco-friendly cat litter are usually made from materials such as:
- Wheat-based Cat Litter
- Walnut-based Cat Litter
- Wood-based Cat Litter
- Corn-based Cat Litter
- Grass Seed Cat Litter
- Recycled Paper Cat Litter
Thus, let us explore some of the options that are available when it comes to eco-friendly cat litter:
World’s Best cat litter
Some of the key features that make the World’s Best cat litter top the chart is that:
- It is plant-based (made from corn)
- It is biodegradable
- It can be composted
- It is odour-free
- It is affordable
- It avoids the use of silica dust that causes respiratory issues
Feline Pine cat litter
This is another eco-friendly option that you can give consideration when the budget is your big priority. This Feline Pine cat litter is also made from plant-based materials while avoiding the use of artificial scents, odours, and chemicals.
Some of the key features that make this option stand out in our list include:
- Natural scents
- No added toxins
- No preservatives
- One of the most affordable options available
Arm & Hammer cat litter
This again is an amazing option when it comes to eco-friendly cat litter because not only it is biodegradable and compostable, it ensures environmental sustainability by going a few steps further:
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Features recycled and biodegradable packaging material
- Green-e certification ensures the use of clean energy
- Avoids the use of preservatives and synthetic fragrances
- Avoids the use of preservatives
It is concluded that Scoop Away cat litter is non-biodegradable because it is a clay cat litter and bentonite clay (that makes up Scoop Away cat litter) can not be ingested by the microbes.
It was discussed that Scoop Away cat litter can not be regarded as an eco-friendly option since it is not biodegradable and also can not be composted. Moreover, it is made from mining processes which are considered bad for the environment.
Lastly, eco-friendly alternatives to Scoop Away cat litter were discussed and some common traits were drawn that included:
- Biodegradable and compostable
- Made from recycled material
- Made from clean energy
- Avoid the use of chemicals, fragrances, and preservatives
- Batista, Candice. (June 24, 2022). Eco-friendly cat litter that won’t harm your cat. Retrieved from: https://theecohub.com/eco-friendly-cat-litter/
- Krosofsky, Andrew. (March 2, 2021). What is the best eco-friendly cat litter? Retrieved from: https://www.greenmatters.com/p/best-eco-friendly-cat-litter
- Wilde, Lorraine. (February 15, 2022). The 6 best eco-friendly cat litter of 2022. Retrieved from: https://www.treehugger.com/best-eco-friendly-cat-litter-5180604
- Scoop Away. FAQs. Retrieved from: https://www.scoopaway.com/cat-tips/faq/