The article will discuss the biodegradability of Cut-Rite wax paper while also shedding light on
- Disposal options
- Sustainable use
Is Cut-Rite wax paper biodegradable?
Yes, Cut-Rite wax paper is biodegradable because it is made of natural materials and therefore, the microbes can break it down by ingesting the natural and organic inside.
When it comes to wax paper, there is a lot of similarity between wax paper and simple paper. In fact, the only disparity is that wax paper has an additional layer of wax that makes the wax paper suitable for its kitchen applications and also potentially substituting plastic wraps and covers.
You may know that paper is derived from the cellulose of trees and therefore, there is no hinge of artificiality here. However, the wax layer is the factor that makes the situation a bit convoluted.
When it comes to wax paper, there are usually two main sources of this wax. One is paraffin which is derived from fossils and as we know that fossil products are not biodegradable; the wax paper made from paraffin wax is not biodegradable.
The other alternative is wax that is derived from plant sources such as Beeswax or Soybean wax. This is natural, organic, and definitely biodegradable.
While the Cut-Rite manufacturers have not mentioned what is the exact source of wax but the producers claim that the Cut-Rite wax paper is indeed biodegradable which means that the wax is derived from plant sources.
Can you compost Cut-Rite wax paper?
One of the repeated questions that come along with the biodegradability of certain materials is the possibility if that material can be composted or not.
When it comes to that, there is good news here Cut-Rite wax paper is certified as compostable because of the fact that it is organic in nature and can be used as compost.
Usually, the term biodegradation and composting are very similar as composting is also done by microbes that will degrade a certain material. However, the case of composting becomes extra peculiar because of the fact that the compost has to be added to the soil (used as a natural fertiliser).
Let us explore steps by which Cut-Rite wax paper can be composted. When it comes to that, there are two possibilities. One is to have Cut-Rite wax paper along with other compostable material be given to the composting facilities.
The other is the composting done at home which can be done by following the given steps:
- Find a suitable location in your home that is distant from your indoors but decently accessible
- You can compost either openly (compost piles) or in a compost bin. Both are fine.
- To initiate the process, make a heap made from compostable material (including wax paper)
- Make sure to place the heap in a cool and dry place. Be sure to continuously and regularly mix it.
- Make sure that there is a decent ratio of brown and green matter. The brown matter will be the source of carbon whereas the green matter will be the source of nitrogen. Many suggest making the ratio 4:1.
- It is clear that dog hair will work as a nitrogen source whereas, you will need to add something as a carbon source
- Wait and let external conditions and microbes do the work
- The compost must be ready in 4-8 months
- Once the compost is ready, be sure to utilise it well and improve the soil conditions, produce, and fertility of your backyard or field.
Can you recycle Cut-Rite wax paper?
No, you can not recycle Cut-Rite wax paper because of the fact that the wax layer makes Cut-Rite wax paper water resistant and this becomes an obstruction in the recycling process.
Therefore, it will be a bad idea to put the Cut-Rite wax paper in the recycling bin because it will have two consequences and both are rather unfavourable:
- The Cut-Rite wax paper will be removed from the recyclable material
- Cut-Rite wax paper may damage the recycling machinery
Therefore, the best you can do is to prefer composting instead of recycling because this will ensure the right utilisation of resources and production of less waste.
What are the right disposal actions with Cut-Rite wax paper?
When it comes to Cut-Rite wax paper disposal, there are certain normal or regular options that tend to be considered. These include:
- Throwing in regular trash cans
Throwing in regular trash cans
Cut-Rite wax paper can be thrown in the regular trash cans but the problem with that is that this will lead to an increase in waste production.
The waste production situation is already quite dense as it is estimated that an average person is responsible for the creation of more than 4 kgs of waste per day.
Therefore, although it is possible to throw Cut-Rite wax paper in regular trash cans, it is not advisable to do so.
While the recycling of regular paper is entirely possible, it is not possible to recycle Cut-Rite wax paper. The main reason is that the wax layer creates problems in the recycling process and therefore, it will be a bad idea to put the Cut-Rite wax paper in the recycling bin.
It is possible to compost Cut-Rite wax paper and not only is it possible, but it is also advised as such because composting is by far the best disposal practice.
When Cut-Rite wax paper is composted, the compost can be used as a natural fertiliser that can:
- Replace synthetic fertiliser
- Increase the organic content
- Improve water retention profiles
Composting Cut-Rite wax paper will also ensures that Cut-Rite wax paper is not thrown in trash cans or recycle bins as it will undo the composting potential and create more waste.
How can you sustainably use Cut-Rite wax paper?
When it comes to the sustainable use of Cut-Rite wax paper, there are two practices that need to be kept in mind. These include
One of the things that you can do is to reduce the amount of wax paper used as this will lead to better utilisation of resources while also ensuring that there is less waste generated.
Another great way to ensure that Cut-Rite wax paper is used sustainably is to reuse it. If used and dealt with properly, wax paper can be reused a couple of times. This will not only save the environment but will also be good for your pocket.
It is concluded that Cut-Rite wax paper is biodegradable because it is made of natural materials and therefore, the microbes can break it down by ingesting the natural and organic inside.
When it comes to the disposal of Cut-Rite wax paper, composting is the best candidate against recycling and throwing in regular trash cans as composting Cut-Rite wax paper will also ensure that Cut-Rite wax paper is not thrown in trash cans or recycle bins as it will undo the composting potential and create more waste.
The article also discussed sustainable ways to use Cut-Rite wax paper that included reusing and reducing the use of Cut-Rite wax paper.
- Todini, Kristina. (August 3, 2021). Is wax paper eco-friendly? Retrieved from: https://www.forkintheroad.co/wax-paper-environmentally-friendly/#Is_wax_paper_recyclable
- Reynolds. Cut-Rite Wax Paper. Retrieved from: https://www.reynoldsbrands.com/products/wax-freezer-paper/cut-rite-wax-paper