This article covers important aspects relating to 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner and answers the following questions:
- Is 30 SECONDS out cleaner biodegradable?
- What are the ingredients of 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner? Are they natural?
- Is the packaging biodegradable or recyclable?
- Is it harmful to the environment?
- Is it a green product?
- Are there any greener alternatives?
- What qualities should be in an environmentally friendly outdoor cleaner.
Is 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner biodegradable?
30 seconds outdoor cleaner is readily biodegradable in sunlight as mentioned in the safety data sheet (SDS) of the product. It is primarily bleach so the product itself is not biodegradable but becomes biodegradable when subjected to certain conditions. However, it is not recommended to throw it untreated directly into the environment
The SDS mentions that it readily degrades in sunlight and soil then the residue substances can be used by microorganisms making the product biodegradable.
What are the ingredients of 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner? Are they natural?
As mentioned earlier that 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner is primarily bleach which is made from a compound known as sodium hypochlorite. Sodium is a naturally occurring compound and is biodegradable and safe for the environment.
But the problem with 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner is that the ingredients are not fully listed and are kept as trade secrets so it cannot be conclusively said that all of the ingredients are naturally sourced.
Some of the ingredients may be unnatural or synthetic but since the product is biodegradable, it can be assumed that it may be using natural plant-based cleaning agents but that does not fit the marketing of the product.
There is a thumb rule regarding products the more a manufacturer is focused on creating eco-friendly products, the more it will advertise its eco-friendliness which is not the case with 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner but at the same time, it does not necessarily mean that the ingredients are not natural.
Is the packaging biodegradable or recyclable?
No, the packaging is not biodegradable. Understandably, cleaning products may remain on shelves for a very long period as compared to other products such as food products so that is why biodegradable packaging cannot be used.
Secondly, biodegradable packaging is mostly made of organic matter from natural sources which is not very good at retaining liquids and not as strong as plastic bottles so it might end up leaking from several places even before being used.
The only environmentally friendly option remains that either the packaging should be recyclable or better that the packaging should be made from recycled materials and that is the case with 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner.
30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner uses 100% recycled plastic bottles which is very good for the environment and also good for the image of the manufacturer.
Is it harmful to the environment?
It is certainly harmful to aquatic life if not to terrestrial life. The secrecy of the list of ingredients makes it difficult to explain certain things about how a product is harmful to the environment and how it’s not considering one does not know what’s actually in the product.
But the safety data sheet is one thing that the manufacturer has to mention if any product has any adverse effects on the environment without mentioning the name of the ingredient that is responsible for it. It is baffling sometimes that this information is kept as a trade secret as it may be causing more harm than it is believed to cause.
30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner may contain synthetic cleaning agents which may be harmful to the environment and that is exactly what is mentioned in the SDS “This product contains a chemical which is listed as a severe marine pollutant according to DOT This product contains a chemical which is listed as a marine pollutant according to DOT. Ecotoxicity: Very toxic to aquatic life with long-lasting effects”.
Is it a green product?
Certainly not. For a product to be labelled “green” it has to go through certain criteria, a few things are listed below:
- The product should contain biodegradable ingredients.
- The product should not be made using non-renewable energy sources.
- The product should not have a high indirect carbon footprint in terms of the supply chain.
- The product should not contain any toxic chemical or substance.
In the case of 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner, the last part is not in line because as discussed earlier, it does contain compounds that are highly toxic to aquatic life so it is safe to say that it is not a green product.
Are there any greener alternatives?
Yes, there are many green alternatives available in the market but the problem with green products is that they are not as effective cleaners as chemical products that are the thing not in question, it is more about the environmental aspect. Greener products are getting better every day with the introduction of new products which are at par with chemical cleaners.
Secondly, green alternatives tend to be more expensive than their chemical counterparts but that’s the price for being conscious about your environment and the generations to come the prices will ultimately reduce once there is more competition and cheaper raw materials available.
But next time you go out shopping for an outdoor cleaner, be sure to find an environmentally friendly cleaner which is in your purchasing capacity.
What qualities should be in an environmentally friendly outdoor cleaner?
For the general public, a few things need to be kept in mind. We can’t into extra details because not everyone can understand the terms and what they mean but you should probably look for these qualities in a cleaner:
- It is biodegradable
- It is eco-friendly
- It is reasonably priced.
- It has a green-certified logo on its back.
- It has recyclable packaging.
30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner is an excellent cleaning product which is biodegradable but it has to be kept away from waterways at all costs because it is highly toxic to marine life. The proper way of disposal is to clean it with rough cloth and use it in fewer quantities and then send these clothes to landfill sites where they may degrade naturally.
- Product Details: 30 seconds outdoor cleaner. Retrieved from https://www.eapsealer.com/30-seconds-cleaner/#:~:text=30%20Seconds%C2%AE%20Outdoor%20Cleaner,-%C2%AE&text=Spray%2Don%2C%20rinse%2Doff,and%20all%20porous%20hard%20surfaces
- Safety Data Sheet: 30 seconds outdoor cleaner. Retrieved from https://www.eapsealer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/30-Seconds-Outdoor-SDS.pdf
- Frequently Asked Questions: 30 seconds outdoor cleaner. Retrieved from https://30secondscleaner.ca/faq/faq-30-seconds-outdoor-cleaner/
- The best eco-friendly products for your home. Retrieved from https://www.wired.com/story/eco-friendly-natural-cleaning-products/
- Eco-friendly ways to clean your patio. Retrieved from https://sheiners.com/blogs/news/eco-friendly-ways-to-clean-your-patio
- 30 SECONDS outdoor cleaner packaging details. Retrieved from https://30seconds.co.nz/about-30-seconds/recycled-bottles/