iPhone batteries are rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and I am sure you have at least one you don’t know what to do with. Why else did you click on this article?
Yes, yes, I know that I am being a little cheeky with my words here, I’ll stop.
So what do you do with your iPhone battery? It doesn’t work and it’s just taking up space in your junk drawer. I am here to tell you that you need to get rid of it as soon as possible.
In this article, I will explain how to dispose of an iPhone battery the right way, and I will go over why you should never, ever throw it in the trash. There are certain dangers with broken batteries and I’ll go over this issue last so stick with me.
How to dispose of Old iPhone Batteries?
Old iPhone batteries should be recycled. The best way to get rid of one is to hand it over to Apple in any of their stores or an authorized dealer. Alternatively, you can give it to a local electronic waste facility or you can call a recycling service for pick up or drop off.
Take it to the Apple shop
Apple has promised to become carbon neutral by 2030, as a part of this program they take in all their products for recycling. The process is simple, you go to an official Apple store or any of their authorized dealers, and you hand over your device for recycling. The same goes for batteries as well.
They will take it off your hand for free. In some regions, they may even have a mail-in option. You need to check Apple’s website to find out what is the closest store to your location.
Take it to a local electronic waste shop
Batteries are considered electronic waste and they need specialized recycling facilities for processing. If you are in the United States, Canada, or Europe then it is likely you will find some electronic waste shops around your area. You can take your old iPhone battery there and hand it over, free of charge.
This is a program that collects rechargeable batteries all across North America. You can check them out here. You can ship your batteries to them free of cost, or you can drop your battery off at a number of their locations in the United States.
How to deal with a broken iPhone battery
Broken iPhone batteries are going to appear swollen. These batteries are a serious fire hazard and should be disposed of immediately. The best practice is to take a container, fill it with sand and place the battery in the middle.
The sand acts as a fire retardant in case there is an accident. Then carry it to the nearest recycling station for a drop-off.
Do not mail broken batteries as they risk catching fire during transportation.
Never throw your battery in the trash
Batteries are considered electronic waste and we must recycle them. We are facing a mounting electronic waste problem. Electronic wastes take up an incredible amount of space in landfills.
They require resources like precious metals and minerals we are currently running out of, and they leak dangerous chemicals into the ground and waterways.
Besides the general problems batteries pose to the landfills and the environment, they are a fire hazard. When you throw them in the trash, there is a high chance they will catch fire while they are being transported, or when they are dumped in the landfills.
iPhone batteries are lithium-ion batteries, and when they are punctured or hit very hard, they catch fire. This can happen at any point, it can happen while the trash is being hauled or sorted in the materials recovery facility or the landfill. In each case, it is a serious issue that can cause injury to the waste haulers or facility workers.
In this article, I explained how to dispose of an iPhone battery the right way, and I went over why you should never, ever throw it in the trash. There are certain dangers with broken batteries and will go over this issue last so stick with me.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): How to dispose of Old iPhone Batteries
How to dispose of old cell phone batteries?
Cell Phone batteries are rechargeable lithium-ion batteries. These are known to explode under very hot conditions, this is why it is never encouraged to throw these in the trash. Battery recycling programs are operating in most cities, you should look up a program near you and dispose of it there.
Does Apple take back old batteries?
You can drop off old iPhone batteries at any Apple store free of charge.
What does Apple do with old batteries?
Is Apple doing the $29 battery replacement?
No, the program ended on December 31st, 2018.
How long do iPhone batteries last?
Depends on the use, but give or take 2 years.
Can iPhone batteries be recycled?
Yes, they can be recycled.
Can I throw my old iPhone battery in the trash?
No, batteries are recyclable. Moreover, these batteries can explode under high heat and can cause fires.
Can I throw my old iPhone battery in curbside recycling?
No, batteries require special recycling systems, and curbside recycling is not equipped for that.
Does Verizon replace phone batteries?
Yes, they will test your battery and if it does not operate properly, they will replace it with a new one.
- Batteries – Service and Recycling. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www.apple.com/lae/batteries/service-and-recycling/
- GUIDE: How to Responsibly Dispose of Lithium-Ion Batteries. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www.simslifecycle.com/2019/05/23/guide-how-to-responsibly-dispose-of-lithium-ion-batteries/
- Apple’s Takeback Program – Electronics TakeBack Coalition. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from http://www.electronicstakeback.com/how-to-recycle-electronics/manufacturer-takeback-programs/apples-takeback-program/
- Batterygate Is Over, But the Need For Battery Replacements Is Still Here | iFixit News. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www.ifixit.com/News/13340/extended-battery-discount-2019
- Disposal and recycling information for iPhone. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/iphone/iph3e5055a8/ios
- Recycling iPhone batteries – how it’s done and why it’s important – Lovefone. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www.lovefone.co.uk/blogs/news/117015236-recycling-iphone-batteries-how-its-done-and-why-its-important
- 3 Ways to Dispose of a Swollen Cell Phone Battery – wikiHow. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www.wikihow.com/Dispose-of-a-Swollen-Cell-Phone-Battery
- What to Do With Those Old Batteries. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-properly-dispose-of-batteries-4767171
- How to dispose of an iPhone with bloated battery?. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/how-to-dispose-an-iphone-with-bloated-battery.2147706/
- DSNY – The City of New York Department of Sanitation. (2022). Retrieved 25 February 2022, from https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/site/services/harmful-products/batteries-harmful