In this article, we discuss the various options for disposing of furniture if you live in New York. Furthermore, we also discuss why it is important to ensure that your furniture is disposed of in a safe as well as a sensible manner.
How to dispose of furniture in NYC?
You can contact the following agencies in order to get rid of your old furniture in NYC.
- Leave it on the curbside along with other trash.
- Junkin Irishman
- The Junkluggers of New York City
- Furnish Green
- Flat Rate Junk Removal Brooklyn
Disposing old furniture
Although recycling is one of the most essential methods to help the environment, many people are unclear how to recycle old furniture.
Furniture is the least recycled item in households, according to a recent article from Planet Save, despite the fact that there are so many options to recycle furniture.
The advantages of recycling are generally recognised, however recycling is not limited to household garbage such as cans and bottles.
Every year, over ten million home items are thrown away, however there are fourteen methods to recycle your old furniture and help change that figure.
Curbside disposal in NYC – the best option
NYC has one of the best bulk item curbside disposal programs. A bulk item is something that can’t fit into a garbage can or bag. Bulky things from residential structures can be removed for free from the curb.
This also includes furniture items such as tables, sofa, chairs, and so on.
Various items such as CFC and Freon removal require appointments for refrigerators, air conditioners, and other goods that cool or chill.
All other bulk goods no longer require an appointment and can be left curbside between 4 p.m. and 12 a.m. on the night before your collection day.
In order to dispose of furniture and other bulk items, remember the following points
- Place big metal and stiff plastic items out the night before your scheduled recycling pickup.
- Place non-recyclable bulk goods out the night before your garbage pickup day. Put them out on your last garbage collection day of the week, if feasible.
- Each collection day, you can put out up to ten bulk goods.
For certain big products, such as mattresses, electronics, and building materials, there are various exclusions and additional disposal restrictions.
How to safely dispose of old furniture?
You can dispose of your old furniture in the following ways:
- Donate unwanted furniture to charity shops.
- Use an environmentally friendly rubbish clearance company.
- Donate furniture through the Furniture Re-use Network.
- Refinish or reupholster it.
- Upcycle old furniture.
- Sell Any Furniture That Is In Good Enough Condition.
- Try to Trade in Your Old Furniture.
- Turn to Your Local Stage School or Theatre.
- Green Junk Removal Options
- Community Bulk Waste Collection
We shall discuss these in more detail below.
Donate unwanted furniture to charity shops.
Many outstanding organisations now have furniture businesses that sell unwanted furniture with 100% of the revenues going to charity, and many of them will also collect.
Some homeless charities hire homeless individuals to repair and recycle furniture, which is subsequently sold in their warehouses for the benefit of the well-known homeless organisation.
It is both good for the environment and good for people to donate furniture to such organisations.
Use an environmentally friendly rubbish clearance company.
Using an ecologically friendly waste removal company is a terrific method to recycle furniture.
You may be certain that your old furniture has been properly recycled and has a beneficial influence on the environment if you use a removal company that takes social and environmental problems seriously.
Donate furniture through the Furniture Re-use Network.
The Furniture Re-use Network makes it easy to get rid of old furniture while also helping the environment. They’ve come up with some creative ideas for repurposing old furniture and diverting it from landfills by distributing it to those in need.
They collaborate with over 200 reuse charities to help consumers identify and get rid of old furniture.
Refinish or reupholster it.
Consider refinishing your furniture before getting rid of it to give it a fresh new look. Determine the furniture’s basic material.
Metal is commonly used for patio furniture, whereas wood or fake wood is commonly used for workstations and tables. Linen, cotton, or leather are commonly used to cover couches and chairs.
Whether your furniture is largely made of metal, you should contact a scrap metal dealer to determine if it may be recycled.
If the furniture is made of wood, take it to a professional restoration specialist or do it yourself. You can transform your old furniture into something fresh and spectacular with a little thought.
Upcycle old furniture.
Upcycling furniture is a great technique to recycle old furniture if you’re handy with tools. Look for instructive tips and how-to guides on sites like Pinterest to help you upcycle your discarded furniture into beautiful, unusual upcycled items.
Sell Any Furniture That Is In Good Enough Condition.
Instead of tossing away any old furniture, consider trying to sell it secondhand. Nowadays, there are numerous simple ways to market your items for free, such as Facebook groups, free ad sites, store windows, and so on.
You must ensure that the old furniture has an up-to-date fire safety label according to requirements; otherwise, the furniture will not be resold.
Try to Trade in Your Old Furniture.
Some stores will accept your old furniture in exchange for a discount on a new purchase, similar to how you would trade in a car.
If you’ve seen the new furniture you’d want to buy, you can contact the dealer and ask if they’d be prepared to give you a discount if you gave them your old sofas.
Turn to Your Local Stage School or Theatre.
Many theatres are in need of aged-looking stage props for upcoming performances. This is a unique way to recycle your furniture, but it’s also a fun way to repurpose it and give it a new lease of life. It’s preferable to burying it in the ground.
Green Junk Removal Options
For your old furniture, there are a variety of green waste disposal solutions. These include, of course, recycling, but also reworking, selling, and even giving existing furniture. Too many individuals, however, are uninformed that they have a choice.
If you use a removal clearance firm like EnviroWaste or junk-king, you can be assured that your old furniture will be recycled.
Your trash removal day will not have a detrimental influence on the environment thanks to these firms who represent social and ecologically sustainable solutions.
Community Bulk Waste Collection
If no retailers will take your furniture and you can’t transport it to a recycler, this may be your final option. Inquire about bulk garbage collection in your neighbourhood.
Most localities require that major goods such as furniture, appliances, and/or electronics be picked up at least once a year, but you’ll need to schedule pickup.
In this article, we have discussed the various ways and organisations that help you to dispose of your old furniture in New York.
Furthermore, we also discussed the various ways you can safely get rid of your old furniture.
What are some ways to repurpose your old furnitures?
You can use some of the following ways in order to repurpose your old furniture:
- Make a backrest for your bed out of an old door.
- Repurpose furniture for the garage, playroom, den, or shop, among other places.
- Towels, kitchen napkins, and blankets can be hung from a ladder.
- A wooden cargo crate may be utilised as a magazine stacking side table.
- Old travel trunks may be used as seating, coffee tables, side tables, or display items.
- Wood pallets may be used to raise your mattress.
- Old dressers may be repaired and used as vanities in powder rooms, as well as in bathrooms with a colonial or classic motif and a vintage finish.
If not your other belongings, the drawers can be adapted to contain the pipes and other plumbing fittings of the house.
- Old lockers can be used to store shoes.
- Discarded wooden crates may be turned into one of the most useful DIY furniture items for your home. They may be utilised as outside patio furniture such as a sofa, centre table, or even a bedroom bedside table.
- Vintage-looking windows and window panes can be kept and refurbished as framed pieces to decorate the walls or utilised as room separators.
Mirrors may be installed in these frames to create a beautiful bespoke partition cum framed mirror. Fabrics and artworks may also be framed using old windows.
How to prepare old furniture for recycling?
For preparing your old furniture for recycling, you should follow the steps mentioned below:
- Make sure any personal things are removed from your furnishings. Empty the drawers if it’s a dresser or a desk. Remove the cushions from sofas and chairs and look for loose coins or receipts.
- Determine the furniture’s basic material. Metal is commonly used for patio furniture, whereas wood or fake wood is commonly used for workstations and tables. Linen, cotton, or leather are commonly used to cover couches and chairs.
- Whether your furniture is largely made of metal, you should contact a scrap metal dealer to determine if it may be recycled.
- If you have any other types of furniture, contact a local secondhand store to see if it may be given. Even if your furniture need repair, many businesses will take care of it and resale it. You may also sell your furniture at a garage sale or put it on Craigslist or Freecycle. However, if your furniture has been in touch with bedbugs or lice, don’t give or sell it.
- Whether no retailers will take your furniture and you can’t transport it to a recycler, see if your neighbourhood offers bulk rubbish pickup. Most localities require that major goods such as furniture, appliances, and/or electronics be picked up at least once a year, but you’ll need to schedule pickup.
Do I need to disassemble my furniture before recycling?
No, and most furniture isn’t made to be taken apart. When the item is picked up, the hauler will take any required precautions, such as removing cushions and drawers, to preserve the furniture during shipment.
Can I recycle my old furniture for money?
You should be able to recycle your furniture as scrap metal and earn money if it is largely metal and not upholstered. However, because firms won’t pay you to pick up furniture, you’ll have to drive it to your local junk dealer.
- NYC311. Bulk Item Disposal.
- Earth911. How to Recycle Furniture.
- Junkin Irishman
- The Junkluggers of New York City
- Furnish Green
- Flat Rate Junk Removal Brooklyn